Friday, February 15, 2013

Debt-free at 23!?

Goal #18

Originally, that was supposed to be the plan...Brian and I thought we were well on our way to buying our first home. He had taken out several different kinds of loans including a credit card through his credit union. Unfortunately, what they failed to tell us, is that the credit union that he was doing ALL of his business with only reports to one credit bureau...which means...no house for a while...AND all that hard work to pay off our debts (over $20,000 in less than a year) was for not.

What does every bank advise us to do?

Go back into debt. What?!

Yep. They gave us very specific instructions to go back into debt with certain companies that wouldn't hit our credit and report to all three credit bureaus.

The result? We bought new living room furniture on credit. I know, I know, I was supposed to buy bedroom furniture but my mother-in-law bought us (new to us) bedroom furniture. Not completely our style and not exactly what we had picked out but it's fine.

So now we have living room furniture with no living room to put it in...yet. Since I am pregnant and able to work my waitress/hostess job less and less, Brian and I decided together that it is better that I handle our finances for a while.

This makes it much easier on both of us and I believe that we are well on our way to being able to buy a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment